2017 Board of Directors Elections
Sister Cities International’s Board of Directors is elected by its voting members—local sister city organizations. The election includes both electronic voting from June 5th-July 14th, 2017 as well as in-person voting at the Annual Business Meeting on July 14th, held during Sister Cities International’s Annual Conference. More information on the election as well as service on the Board of Directors can be found in the FAQ at the end of this application.
Seven (7) at-large Board positions will be filled by election during the Annual Business Meeting at the Annual Conference in Virginia Beach, VA on July 14th, 2017. All of the positions are for full three year terms (2017-2020). In addition, the Young Professional (Under 35 years old) and Youth (Under 21 years old) Board Members will be elected to 2-year terms (2017-2019).
Candidates seeking these positions must agree to all requirements listed in this application, including attendance at the Annual Conference and Business Meeting July 14-16, 2017 in Virginia Beach, VA. If elected, you must attend the three leadership meetings and commit to an annual Global Leadership Circle donation of $2,500 for each year served as a director. Candidates must register for the Annual Conference prior to their candidacy being announced, although they may wait until the Elections Committee of the Board of Directors has certified their candidacy on April 27th.
CLICK HERE to download the application form.
It is the policy of Sister Cities International Board of Directors that each candidate applying for the above positions, including current directors running for second terms, must submit their application materials and all supplemental information by 5:00pm EDT on Friday, April 28 to Adam Kaplan at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications received after this date will not be considered. The application materials to be submitted include:
- The application form, to be completed, signed, scanned or attached, and submitted as a PDF or .jpeg.
- Three narrative answers to questions below, to be submitted in Word format. All narrative answers will be reproduced in the candidate’s profile on Sister Cities International’s website and other election materials provided to voting members. Please take note of all word count requests throughout the application. If an applicant exceeds the desired word count, Sister Cities International may edit your response to meet the requirements.
- Headshot/Photograph for use on election materials and ballot, submitted as .jpeg/.png.
- Letter of support from an elected official or representative of local sister city program (Board Chair/President/Committee Head), submitted as .jpeg/.png/PDF (max size, 1MB). If you have questions about a recommender’s eligibility please contact Adam Kaplan at email@example.com.
All candidates will receive electronic confirmation of their applications within two days of receipt. If you do not receive confirmation within two days, please contact Adam Kaplan at 202-347-8634.
Please submit answers to the following in Word format with your application materials:
- A brief biographical description, including relevant experience in your sister city program or other organizations (up to 250 words).
- A statement of why you want to run for the Board of Directors (up to 200 words).
- The major skills and assets that you will bring to the board (up to 75 words).